Interactive Media & Interface Design

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Voting - Another Way to Create Interactivity

Living in a "swing state," 5 days before a national election, you may have reached your quota of talk about voting. But you can relax because this post is not about politics. Instead, it's about building interactivity and creating a sense of involvement. One way to engage readers and viewers is to invite them to vote...and then tell them the results. Newspapers, local newscasts, and reality TV shows have all employed voting as a means to find out what readers/viewers are thinking, and at the same time, drawing them into the program and making them feel engaged. According to Mitch Rose, PointRoll's vice president of marketing, "the basic rationale for polling is that humans have an innate drive to compare themselves to others." Mass media-enabled voting can be a simple way to create interaction between the content creator and consumer.

Banner ads that invite voting are another attempt to attract viewers' interest. PointRoll Polling, according to their web site http://www.pointroll.com/products/polling.asp, "let's the web user share their opinions, while the advertiser can capture valuable information about their brand, product and position."

Consider also the following application of "live" voting as reported by MediaPost...
New Yorkers have been treated to an interactive billboard in Times Square serving as a public forum for people to debate, "What is beautiful?" Passersby can cast their vote via cell phone and a running tally appears in real-time on the billboard. So what does the billboard look like? It's an image of Irene Sinclair, a 96-year-old woman who's wrinkled face now graces a sixty-nine feet high and forty-four feet wide billboard above the Marriott Marquis. Viewers decide if she's "Wrinkled?" or "Wonderful?" as the ad questions: "Will society ever accept old can be beautiful?" The billboard is part of Unilever brand Dove's global campaign for real beauty, which challenges the stereotypical view of beauty.

Can you recall a website or TV program that convinced you to submit your vote? If so, tell us about it. If not, why do you suppose that you're not interested in expressing your opinion in this way?

NOTE: In related news...Wired News just reported on a Pew Internet study that indicates that the American public wants to be able to voice their opinion by using an online ratings system. Read more at http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,65501,00.html


7 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger pueblosam, at 10/28/2004 10:43 AM  

  • There is a website, www.mxtabs.net, which is a place where people add music tabulature for guitar, bass and drums. Tabulature is a form of written music, but instead of written notes, numbers, representing the fret, are placed on the correct string. Sometimes it is correct and sometimes it is not, which is where the voting occurrs. You are able to vote on how well they "tabbed" the song in relation to how the song sounds. The rating system is 1-5 stars, 5 being the best. This is where I get music to learn to play other artists' songs.

    By: Jared

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/30/2004 12:08 PM  

  • There are many TV programs that have intrigued me to vote. I am a reality TV addict, so there are many opportunities to cast you vote online or via cellular phone. My favorite reality program is the Bachelor. There are always polls on ABC on who you want to win, who is least liked, etc. Another program that has caused me to vote is American Idol. I like the idea that on American Idol you can vote on your cell phone, via text messaging, this is new and innovative way to get people to become more interactive.

    A website that I use for entirely entertainment purposes is www.hotornot.com. At this site people are able to visit the site and vote on a scale, if pictures of people posted are attractive or not. It’s kinda a fun site…..if your really board that is!

    P.S- Thanks Prof. E for not making this subject about politics, it’s getting a little repetitive….how much can they really cram in our brains!!???

    By: Megan M.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/30/2004 12:25 PM  

  • I have been overrun with lots and lots of ads on political issues and electors. However, the only ads that I pay attention to are the ads that are on amendments. Like Josh said, I paid attention to the Amendment 34 as well as other amendments, however, after seeing the teleivision ads, I then proceeded to ask others their opinion and research more information on the ads. Television can play a big role, but when it comes to websites, I usually try to stay away, for fear of spam from surveys and voting.

    By Blogger Dan Hardee, at 10/31/2004 9:12 PM  

  • I personally do not take part in very many online voting polls. The polls I participate in mainly have to do with NFL polls or opinion pieces about sports. I don’t get involved in the political stuff. I thought that the running billboard was a great idea.

    By: Jeff Montera

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/31/2004 9:38 PM  

  • Sorry, I misread the question that was posted. I accidently posted a comment on political ads and response. Here is what I actually meant:

    Most of the time when I see banner ads and other features asking me to vote and win something, I usually don't consider it a legitamite advertisement. One site that I do like to use voting with is the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com). This site asks visitors to vote on whether a movie is good or bad and then averages the votes in order to create a review for the film. This is just about the only voting I participate in online. However, now that I am a web designer and often want feedback on my web sites, I might consider using more voting techniques to increase more web viewing response. The article at the bottom of the blog posting makes me think that my voting habits online could possibly change if more opinions are voiced online. If this occurs, the online opinions will dominate the traditional methods and everyone will have to voice their opinion online.

    By Blogger Dan Hardee, at 11/01/2004 1:11 AM  

  • John Kerry Storms to Victory in Virtual Vote
    Reuters, November 1, 2004
    The virtual vote is in -- Democratic challenger John Kerry has won a landslide victory over President Bush in a global sample of the world's opinion on the race for the White House. More than 113,000 people from 119 countries made their choice at www.globalvote2004.org, handing Kerry a crushing win with 77 percent of the vote, a spokesman for the Web site said on Monday. - Read the whole story...

    By Blogger pueblosam, at 11/01/2004 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home